I didn’t really try to articulate a vision for this blog when I started it and I think it shows, so let’s start Reconstruction by fixing that. This should eventually result in a mission statement, but I’m not there yet. There’s a recommended structure to that which I don’t want to grapple with at this moment. Later for sure, though.
Actually, let me indulge in my passion for over-organizing before I do anything else. This “mission statement” thing will be a multi-step process.
- Zeroth is this, the organizational overview explaining how things will, and eventually do, go.
- First, I’d like to answer some personal questions about the identity of this site in a loose, rambling personal essay.
- Then I’d like to introduce those ideas of what a mission statement should address by turning some online templates into a questionnaire which I’d subsequently fill out
- (and post as an attachment to an article describing the experience of filling out that questionnaire).
- After that, I’d like to turn those answers into the actual document, which is partly its own process story, especially if I do drafts,
- But would also be posted as the final installment of what is now a series.
And then I’ll post it separately as the 2016 Mission Statement for The New Miscellany. So it’s a simple six step process, all of which I plan on documenting because I am incredibly dull. This will go well.